In order to give a competent answer to this question, and at the same time to find out if you are training correctly, it is necessary to clarify — for what purpose do you run, what is the duration and intensity of the received cardio load, at what time of day does this happen? After all, running for weight loss and just to maintain your fit body is absolutely different.
To begin with, let's see. The initial source of energy for skeletal muscle contraction is the reaction of glucose oxidation coming from the blood, or the breakdown of glycogen — a form of carbohydrate storage in muscle tissue and liver. By the way, a certain amount of it is an inviolable reserve, which the body consumes only in life-threatening situations. When carbohydrates run out, amino acids come into play, and then energy is drawn from the breakdown of the contents of fat cells. And only when there is no fat, the muscles begin to "devour" themselves.
Is it true that you need to run without having breakfast first?
Therefore, such running for long distances is not recommended to people with low weight and minimal muscle mass and those, who have a stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer. Everyone else can do that! Those, for whom it is not recommended, need a light snack. It will protect the damaged wall from gastric juice, which begins to be released in response to running, which is an average stressful situation for the body.
Running to keep your body fit
If you run not for weight loss, but for that reason, check out the following recommendations:
- The number of workouts per week and their duration: 2 times for 30-60 minutes + 1 time for 120 minutes. If you are a beginner, start with an easier schedule: 3 times a week for 30 minutes. In case of severe fatigue, cut yourself some slack and switch to a quick step for a while.
- Control the amount of work your heart does. The pulse during running should be in the range of 120-130 beats / min (150 max), and after you have finished it should recover to normal in 5-10 minutes.
- Train before breakfast. However, if it is not possible, then train 1.5-2 hours after dinner.
- Don't run on a completely empty stomach! Have a banana (preferably not very ripe) or 30 g of dark chocolate 20 or 30 minutes before running, and before a 120-minute workout, support the body with even two bananas.
- Are you going to train after dinner? In this case, the best dinner is fish and vegetable stew.
- Remember, after a large portion of fatty or "long-carbohydrate" food, your stomach will become almost empty, which means it will be possible to run only after 2.5-3 hours.
- If you follow the rules strictly, then, so that running workouts do not to lead to weight loss, after them replenish energy reserves. After 15-20 minutes, this time is enough to take a hygienic shower and get into the "anabolic food window", eat a dense carbohydrate-protein breakfast. The best choice for evening time will be a grapefruit.
In any case, before a running workout, do not forget to drink a glass of water, and also do a little warm-up. Pay attention to the joints and tendons of the legs — this will save you from a possible injury. And a few tilts and turns of the body will help to avoid convulsions of the gallbladder and spleen.
Running for weight loss
If you are pursuing the goal of losing extra pounds, then running for weight loss is ideal to be done on an empty stomach. At the same time, if the excess weight is insignificant, up to 5 kg, it is recommended to follow the following rules:
- number of running morning workouts per week — 3;
- duration of one run — gradually increase from 30 to 60 minutes;
- cardio intensity — bring it up to 65-70% of the pulse zone;
- follow a hypocaloric diet, the balance of fats-proteins-carbohydrates — 15\25\60 (%);
- have breakfast only 1 hour after the end of the run.
Is your weight too far from ideal? Then to the above rules you need to add 3 high-intensity interval fitness workouts, including exercises that improve your strength. They burn fat a little slower than running, but they return the sensitivity of cells to insulin and normalize carbohydrate metabolism, which ultimately causes not just weight loss, but also recovery. It is better to do such training in the evening. You can train either on the same days or on the other 3.
Is it still difficult for you to run or do fitness on an empty stomach? It doesn't matter! Follow the advice of American aerobics experts. They conducted a study that showed that taking 40 grams of carbohydrates and 20 grams of protein 20 minutes before training does not significantly affect the dynamics of weight loss, but gives the necessary strength for an hour.